Thursday, December 31, 2020

Re-orienting mid-journey (WP-->Blogger)

lego hiker with map and compass
Image by Andrew Martin at Pixabay

[Copying from My Wordpress to Blogger Google Doc]

2020-12-23

  • Preparing to move a quite long post I was distracted by 
    • Wondering and discovering auto TOC is possible - before remembering that just moving it all is the goal for now.
    • Contemplating blogger thumbnails & WP featured images - learned from MaryC.fromNZ and Deepak Kamat over at webmasters.stackexchange about ‘handling’ Blogger’s choice of image to use as thumbnail.  As Blogger would use the first of my own images in the post, either make sure that’s worthy of thumbnail or insert one higher up perhaps with some css style to hide it.

2020-12-24

  • Reflecting that already I glimpse trials and tribulations others’ mentioned. Already tweaking the plan, and fairly sure my creativity would not extend to entertaining anyone with my step-by-step, I postponed deciding whether to blog it, and started a Google Doc (basically turning the plan into a repeatable procedure, and capture reflections) 
  • Decided to prioritise posts most viewed at the old place, and finally worked out how to get a list from Jetpack of posts and their #views that I could copy over to the doc which conveniently links to each post. 
  • Third post copied (the post most viewed over there (4219 views! -- It did contain 65 external links! and no I started but didn't check them all) :
    • Minecraft in public libraries for teens and young adults @lgreenpd
      • pleased/surprised to find the kwouts are still deliverable, even though I can't find the developers anymore. 
      • Frustrated with Blogger editor's behaviour in toggling html/compose though: I could not switch to Compose without removing "</area>" ; yet everytime I had to switch to HTML the interface reinstalled "</area>" into the kwout map even though the post would not save because it claimed that was bad html!
      • Major complications copying over the Comments and Pings!

2020-12-25

  • Planning to move the fourth post, I started a Google sheet to note which I have copied and why and the difficulties each presented (+ to capture a bunch of numbers, of comments, pings, internal/external links, images, kwouts).
  • Copied over

2020-12-26

2020-12-27

  • Spent a bit of time thinking about the drafts never posted
    • Copy/pasted 3 page list of drafts to sheet, then cleaned the data, deleting columns, Find/replace extranei ; sort by Category, tag and then date because category and tag mean I once thought it relevant to include, recency is not so important.
  • Notepad refines the procedure = 
    • old in html, copy, paste into notepad, then cut piece by piece into new post in html

2020-12-31

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...