Wednesday, June 17, 2015

DIY desktop icons with IrfanView #blogjune

Three of my custom desktop icons and IrfanView
No fuss, no bother,

IrfanView quickly converts my .jpg images to .ico ; giving me visually meaningful desktop icons.

Recently I became interested in customising my desktop icons. Specifically (so far): shortcuts to webpages which otherwise would, by default, show the browser's icon. Regular readers may recall that Mr 17 helpfully photoshopped two creative commons images into one; and that it was only after much fuss I found an online converter [no longer available (2020)] to achieve an .ico file.

... and more (later)...

Apparently IrfanView is capable of tons more than this little thing I needed.  It will come in handy:

    • when I have time to learn about optimising (beyond cropping and resizing images with Paint to 500px or less before uploading)
    • or for working with layers? (see if I can stretch beyond the gimp tutorials with which I made a couple of textures for SecondLife).
2015 Homescreen of IrfanView where I see it also creates slideshows and more

How simple?

For future reference, with IrfanView icons are a simple matter of:

File, Save Picture As, .ico

File, Save Picture As, .ico [and Discovered 25/12/2020: Both ico options checked]

Thanks Irfan.

Will he earn a place on my toolbar?
[Update 25/12/2020 - he did :-D]

Part of my Wordpress→Blogger journey, this post copied 25/12/2020 in republication of my 17 June 2015 post at my experimental self-hosted Wordpress

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...