Friday, December 25, 2020

Creating a Circle Desktop shortcut icon

Short version (what I did):

  1. make circles with transparent backgrounds in Powerpoint.
  2. and layer one image over another in Irfanview
  3. then convert with IrfanView to make a desktop icon
  4. and only then learn about icoconverter.com which I know can do 3 and suspect can do 1

Long version:

Retrieve five year old (2015) posts about making desktop icons

.., find a tool I learned about then is apparently a deprecated project, so lots of relearning...

goal

I wanted to show and tell my "customised a desktop icon to my own Flickr" story but the dots are trademarked by Yahoo. I don't know if that would mean one couldn't show non-commercial images incorporating the dots - but I also don't want to spend the time checking, so I erred on the side of caution.

For illustration I contemplated other icon customisations. Say, place the ALIA starry thing in the centre of a Chrome circle for the shortcut to my ALIA PD Drive folder. But - mm no - Chrome is probs trademarked too. I might still do it to practice the technique, but won't show it :-(

I wanted to layer two side by side coloured circles over my scaredydragon and have the combination in a circle with transparent background as an .ico file.

What I did

So while I can't show you the end result, I can share videos to illustrate what I learned.  

Also note it took many rinse and repeats to select the precise portion of the picture (the dragon's face and ears) that I wanted to show in the eventual circle, into the necessary part of the intervening square. And for the memory file, that involved, in IrfanView:

  • load image (open folder) browse
  • (too small , resize up =Ctrl+R or Image > Resize/Resample
  • I only want his face, so Shift+C Create Custom Crop Selection size 256 x 256 *
  • --repeat those steps until the original resize was such that the custom crop grabbed what I wanted.
  • Saved that square (can't remember how)

* because:

"Microsoft recommends using an icon with a size of at least 256×256 pixels, to ensure it is properly displayed in the Large icons view"--Digital Citizen.

Next

  1. Paint's dropper tool let me grab the exact colour I wanted, to create two squares that I could copy paste into:
  2. Powerpoint where (thanks to Articulate 360 I now know how to convert them to circles with transparent backgrounds.

  3. While I couldn't work out how to save both together still with a transparent background in Powerpoint, Kevin Stratvert showed how to remove a background from a picture with Paint3D.

Back to IrfanView,

  • Edit Insert overlay/watermark image
  • ... centre,
  • 0% transparency gave me the effect I wanted

Next step back to Powerpoint to get another circle, but Powerpoint won't save it as an .ico.

So I went back to IrfanView to change the png to .ico, but the conversion seems to have left a jagged edge. Still ... I am super happy I have an ico that makes my desktop shortcut icon visually meaningful.

Update: I've since found the png-ico conversion is easier with ICOconvert recommended by Maraksot78 (video: How to Create Custom Desktop Icons (It's Easier than you Think)) (although as mine was just one image png to ico convert, as asked, I used the old ICOconvert homepage).  

When I look more at ICOconvert online it seems they also offer cropping and Styling which includes circles - so I wonder if the special shape styles come with transparency?  Maybe I'll try it out soon.  No hurry because I did try their tab for "Multiple PNGs to one ICO" but it had no upload mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...