Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Royal English history


Some time ago I shelved A Royal Family : Charles I and his family and swore to borrow it when my other reading was finished. Sure enough I've been reading it slowly since (mostly toilet reading :D ), finding it a little interesting (I've never been particularly interested in English history, it was the family angle that caught my interest) and a little horrifying (just like modern history as to the horrible and stupid things that people do to each other).

But that's not why I'm posting. Tonight I caught Monarchy (Dr David Starkey tells the stories of the reigns of William and Mary and Queen Anne as well as other key players.) on ABC - I missed the last episode. Right from the start I was pleased that I could recognise where the monarchs of this episode fit in thanks to Patrick Morrah's biography. The video program was quicker than reading a biography, probably not as detailed, but interesting all the same.

And hm, another classification learning opportunity: SMB has classified the book at 941.062 (I would put it at 941.06) yet the record from Libraries Australia has 929.72. Oh, I see 929 is genealogy names, insignia... oh there is .2 family histories and .7 is Royal houses, peerage etc BUT the class notes say:
...
Class family histories of the nobility and gentry in 929.2; class histories of a royal family that include general historical events or biographies of members of the royal family in 930-990.


Got to go, Son #1 is demanding I see whether there is a new episode up at:



Ask Dr. Eldritch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...