Sunday, August 06, 2006

Flickr_ing Libraries

I'd like to see my public library improve its web presence - and I'll write more about that later...

one of the features I've enjoyed on some library sites (not ones where the number of photos is huge, and the images look like there has been absolutely no selection so it is like the same photo with slight variations) is a Flickr widget.

Such as at: Sherrard Public Library, Albany, Plainview, Thomas Ford (Libraries & Librarians on Flickr)

I have to learn more about how it can be used to enhance a website - like whether it can enable patrons to view the library's images without having to leave the library's website. Perhaps I could start at Tame the Web's push, ten, ten more or world-rocking reasons.

Another excellent item would be linking to and encouraging patrons to contribute to National Library of Australia's PictureAustralia by Flickr endeavour, for example I didn't find any of Australia's classic breastfeeding images at PictureAustralia.

The Libraries and Librarians Flickr group discussion included responding to patron concerns. I'm glad one of the comments pointed to Michael Stephens blogarticle Flickr + Libraries = Scary, Scary, Scary to Some Folks.

Then, when I've had enough of Flickr I can go back to studying in more detail the first modern steps for a library to connect with its public.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...