Monday, July 29, 2019

Getting Pinterest out of Google Results by default

Too often my search results have been cluttered with useless results from Pinterest. Generally when I search I want informative results and unfortunately when Pinterest pops up if there is any useful information behind a Pinterest result it will take a long click journey to find it.

So today I went looking for a way to exclude pinterest by default.

The solution for me (Thanks Benjamen Lim) is browser based: a Chrome setting.

For my own future reference I’ve detailed things Benjamen didn’t, but left out some explanations he gave that you might like to read.

  1. In Chrome, go to Settings>Manage Search Engines.

  2. Find Google, click the stacked dots at right.


  3. Click Edit (if Google is your default search engine, Edit is the only option available under the dots)


  4. Although the URL is greyed out, we can double click and Ctrl-A to select and Ctrl-C copy.
    Screenshot shows greyed out but selected URL

  5. Now where Benjamen Lim moved straight to Adding a new engine, I figured:
    “the URL is long but the box containing it small”
    so I opted to open Notepad to paste & edit the URL there before copying the new version and taking it back to add the new engine.

    However, the spot to edit in the URL (after ?q=) is only 20 characters from the start of URL

  6. Whether in Notepad or the Adding engine box, after pasting the copied URL find the spot between ?q= and %s& and add in
    +-site:pinterest.*+ after ?q=.
    and Save.

  7. Find the saved engine in the non-default list and make it default (through the stacked dots)

PS

If you’re wondering how I captured the cursor and pointer in my screenshots, the answer is IrfanView, recalled by revisiting my post [in other blog].

PPS

My republish-worthiness meter will be refined because republishing that post about IrfanView took a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...