Sunday, May 16, 2010

A webcomic I read: Freefall

Do you enjoy comics? Do you read any on the web?

I've mentioned Ask Dr Eldritch before, and I still visit there regularly to keep up. I keep up with Unshelved in Bloglines. But I haven't described them, perhaps I will soon as I heartily recommend both.

Lately I've discovered others that have been around for years. As I've got more posts in the works than published lately, and I'm feeling low and not up to much at all today, I'm going to tell you about Freefall, and maybe this will start a series, or you can peruse my collection.

Kitty introduced me to Freefall by Mark Stanley. Naturally I like to begin at the beginning, so I'm still trying to catch up because the series began in 1998. The adventures of a peculiarly criminal invertebrate alien Sam, his simple robot sidekick Helix and their illegally obtained exceptionally honest and upright Bowman wolf engineer Florence are, so far (I'm up to April 2002), quite diverting and addictive.

The roster of delightful additional characters (Savage Chicken, the ship who would happily kill the captain (Sam); Sawtooth, the enormous beetle shaped construction bot who is [at least in 2003] considering motherhood; and Winston, Florence's veterinarian & romantic interest to name just a few) are all way more endearing than, but probably because of the foil provided by, Sam.

And that's about wiped my energy levels. Perhaps I'll share some of my favourite moments in the series later.

Perhaps I won't need to, there are some excellent reviews of this cartoon by Brian Roney, Ankur Gupta, Absolute Astronomy (sourced from but apparently since deleted from Wikipedia) and someone at Nationmaster/Statemaster.

Freefall is apparently ranked #80 at the webcomic list which also provides a "people who liked this also liked" list of suggestions:


I must tag Mark Stanley's list of other online comics for later perusal too.

Go ahead tell me about the webcomics you read.

3 comments:

  1. I'm new to webcomics and so far I read Escape from Planet Nowhere (http://planet-nowhere.com/) and My Sister the Freak (http://www.mysisterthefreak.com/). Admittedly, I'm *really* into the art as well.

    I'll probably get into more, but I'm engrossed in learning about making comics atm since I'm starting one tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arp.
    I'll be sure to mention your comic to other unschoolers and comic readers I know... how exciting that I'll be able to follow it from the start - and moreso that it is called Unschoold.

    Chatting with Arp reminded me...I remember reading Peanuts & Archie, oh and a variety of Harvey and Disney comics as a child before taking to Garfield and then when a little older adored Pini's Elfquest. My sons are both avid Garfield fans. Shortiye also likes Hagar, Swamp and Wizard of Id.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questionablecontent.net
    A clear winner in my experience. The early days of Twolumps were great for a cat lover, and Penny Arcade and Ctrl-alt-del are awesome for gamers, but QC seems to cater for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...