Friday, May 16, 2008

Vocab: goa, hae

Scramble delightfully tells me all the words I miss - and each time there are so many it is quite embarrassing. Or perhaps not - the letters are after all scrambled, and it is more "can you see them" than "do you know them", so okay I'm not so embarrassed. And maybe not even over some of the words that I didn't even realise were words, that is: sure I saw the letter combination but wouldn't even think to jot it because it is not to my knowledge a word.

Still, maybe knowing more words will help me see them better.

goa: n. A gazelle (Procapra picticaudata) native to Tibet and having backward-curving horns in the male. [The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, 2000, Houghton Mifflin Company.]

(making GOA an acceptable Scramble/Boggle, Scrabble word which I'd have thought to not be acceptable had I known only of: Goa - a state of southwestern India; a former Portuguese colony)

And maybe the information (with pictures) from Rufford Small Grants for Nature Conservation Foundation could help me remember:...


And now to embed 'hae' in my memory:

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...