Saturday, January 19, 2008

Classifying: permaculture home garden

Librarythinging still: grateful to Libraries Australia for sharing records.

So, tonight I shelve indoor plants at 635.915 having checked that is the number for indoor plant cultivation; only to see that I had shelved
The permaculture home garden by Linda Woodrow at 635.987 (as given by Libraries Australia)... hm but a 30 seconds ago I was reading that 635.9 was floriculture.

Clearly when I checked it the first time I went straight to that number in the schedules, read "organic gardening" and didn't even read a little upwards, or I would have seen that .98 is "special methods of cultivation in floriculture" - not the subject of this book. So, I read backwards a little further... ah there is a .04 *Cultivation, harvesting, related topics to which I may add as instructed under 633-635... like with 84 organic farming.

Yes I like that better 635.0484, and I'm not the only one: Libraries Australia tells me that is its DDC at Armidale Dumaresq Council War Memorial Library, Clarence Regional Library, TAFE SA O'Halloran Hill Campus Library and University of Adelaide Roseworthy Campus. Of the other libraries who show their DDC most have 635.987, although some have 631.58, 631.5825 (neither of which I would use because this book is specifically for the home garden, not a work on permaculture in larger-scale agriculture like Graham Bell's The Permaculture Garden).

Aside: just because I learned from it: Libraries Australia listed the book at Rockdale City Library with DDC: 636.987 which is not a valid number (the closest being 636.9865 or 636.988 baboons as pets or great apes as pets respectively). I wonder why they don't appear to have the book anymore was it weeded as never having been borrowed?

:inner screams of joy: I love this!

Now that I think about it I'll have to see whether I took any photos of the garden I made back in 1999ish following this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...