Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cataloguing ... typos in source


I'm adding the RACV's Victoria State Map First Edition, map 4053 to my Library Thing, and the information about publication reads:

MAP 4053 (c) RACV 1096
PUBLISHED BY THE ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB OF VICTORIA (RACV) LTD,
550 PRINCES HIGHWAY, NOBLE PARK 3174, (ACN 004060833)


At first I read 1096 as 1996, a copyright date. If it is not the date (with typographical error) what other number could it be?

According to Libraries Australia: Monash University Library has a copy on-order with a publication date [1993] and a note quoting "Map 4503 0993". So perhaps my map which declares itself as First edition wasn't published in 1996?

While I recall that a title is to be transcribed exactly from the chief source including typographical errors, does the same apply to date of publication? I'll be looking that one up.

Can you see why cataloguing my own library is so much fun? No sarcasm, I'm serious - I love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...